OnePlus will let users hide the notch on the OnePlus 6
OnePlus CEO Pete Lau has taken to the company’s forums to offer fans some reassurance about the upcoming OnePlus 6 and its controversial notched display. In response to a loud and passionate negative reaction, Lau says that OnePlus will now offer the option to black out the sides of the screen around the notch and thereby hide it, much as Huawei has done with the P20. I’ve been using the latter phone since its announcement in Paris last week, and I’ve never felt the need to hide its notch, but it’s good to have the option for people suffering from notch allergies.
The OnePlus 6 will get the notch-hiding tweak in a software update after release, Lau says, which again indicates the imminent arrival of his company’s next flagship phone. OnePlus has traditionally launched its phones in June, but on the strength of its pre-launch notch discussions, we can probably expect the OnePlus 6 much sooner than usual.
Lau has also revealed some of the headline specs for the OnePlus 6, disclosing in another forum post that the upcoming phone will have up to 8GB of RAM, 256GB of storage, and the Snapdragon 845 processor from Qualcomm.
Next Up In Circuit Breaker
- OnePlus CEO confirms key OnePlus 6 specs
- Watch this Russian postal drone smash into a wall on its inaugural flight
- Dell’s new G series laptops pair gaming specs with a cheap plastic chassis
- New indie project could lead to a bunch of Wear OS smartwatch competitors
- Dell XPS 15 is getting Intel’s new chip and a 1050 Ti GPU
- The Moto G6 series might be released in May