Disney is once again in talks to acquire 21st Century Fox
In November, word broke that Disney and 21st Century Fox had begun to discuss the possibility of Disney acquiring most of Fox’s film and television assets, but just as quickly, it became clear that those discussions had since ended. Now, it seems as though those talks are back on, according to a report in The Wall Street Journal.
The WSJ cites reports of people familiar with the situation who say that the talks are currently active and are gaining momentum, although it’s possible that they could once again fall through. As previously rumored, the talks concern Fox’s movie and television studios, international assets, and some domestic television networks, excluding Fox News and Sports. Rupert Murdoch and his family are reportedly expected to decide whether or not to sell by the end of the year.
If the deal goes through, it would mean a huge addition to Disney’s already vast content library. Amongst Fox’s assets are some Marvel properties such as its X-Men franchise as well as James Cameron’s Avatar franchise, all of which would likely be welcome additions to Disney’s upcoming streaming service.
Next Up In Culture
- Barbary Station is a thrilling sci-fi adventure about space pirates and a homicidal AI
- New trailers: Avengers, Black Mirror, Batman Ninja, and more
- Netflix is making a new show based on Sabrina the Teenage Witch
- One Video: Tell Me You Love Me by Demi Lovato
- Netflix’s Dark is hard to watch, and impossible to stop watching
- Disney is suing Redbox to stop it from selling digital download codes